When it comes to determining the objective of Blackjack certain misconceptions arise. However, at the simplest, yet the most correct level, all that a player is trying to do, is to beat the dealer. How to do that? Here are all the possible ways of leaving the game with a victory:
- draw a hand the value of which is higher than that of the dealer’s hand;
- the dealer draws a hand the value of which is over 21;
- you draw a hand the value of which on the first two cards is exactly 21 whereas the dealer does not.
At the same time, it’s worth having a glance at the scenarios where you become the loser of the game:
- you draw a hand the value of which is above 21;
- at the end of the round, the hand value of the dealer is higher than that of yours.
Unlike Poker games, what hands other players at the table have has nothing to do with your losing or winning the game. You always play against the dealer just as all the other players do. Blackjack can never be considered a team sport.
Detailed Guide on Playing Blackjack
Depending on the casino you aim to play at, the rules of Blackjack will slightly differ. It makes it somewhat difficult to scheme a strategy and play adhering to it. Nevertheless, here is a step by step guide explaining how to play Blackjack. These are the common rules that expand on all games irrespective of the casino house:
- A player starts with only two cards while one of the dealer’s cards is hidden up to the moment you make a decision;
- To “Stand” means to hold your total and end your turn, while to “Hit” refers to asking for another card;
- If the total value of your cards exceeds 21, you lose, and the dealer wins no matter what hand they’ve got;
- If you get 21 on your first round with the cards Ace and 10, you get a Blackjack and win;
- Winning with Blackjack you get 1.5 the amount you have deposited (this depends on the casino, though);
- The dealer always hits til their cards are 17 or higher in total;
- When you double, your bet gets doubled while you get only one extra card;
- If you get a pair, you can slip the cards to form two separate hands;
- When splitting, you double the bet since each hand is worth the initial bet you made;
- Both doubling and splitting are possible only on the first move;
- It’s not possible to place on two Aces if you have split your hand;
- After splitting, you can double, triple, or even quadruple your bet which will apply to all the hands.
Besides learning how to play blackjack, it is important for beginner gamblers to check the values of all cards. And so, Aces are worth 1 or 11 (depending on what’s more favorable for the player), face cards are valued 10, and the rest have the values corresponding to their numbers.
How to Make Money on Blackjack: Useful Tips
Blackjack is a casino game, and hence the chances of winning the game are much smaller than those of winning it. However, with several useful tips on how to play Blackjack at a casino and make money, serious money, everything becomes possible.
Develop and Adhere to Your Strategy
Scheming out a strategy and following it, you make your gaming organized. If you know the correct way to stand, hit, double, or split down your hand, you can cut the casino house edge up to 0.5%. Important points are:
- always split 8s and Aces;
- hit or double Aces-6;
- hit once your hand is 12-16 while the dealer has got 7-Ace;
- stand in case your hand is 12-16 and the dealer has got 2-6;
- double your 11- worth hand if the dealer has 2-10.
It won’t be difficult to remember all this since these are the core of every playing strategy. Other working strategy tips include:
- don’t play the insurance;
- check the upcard of the dealer;
- start with playing small;
- avoid getting burned.
And finally, do never buy into “skillful” gamblers’ myths. If any player claims to be an expert and sticks with their recommendations, just smile and play the game smartly, i.e. using the basic strategy.