Oct 25, 2017
Welcome Back To Our USASC Newsletter.
Highlighting important and relevant information on sports and the Olympic movement from WADA to the latest in emerging sports federations and sports culture. This time we're looking at lot of anti-doping news including the latest on WADA and a call for action on the McLaren Report plus a roundup of news from our member sports, and sports news from the month of October.
- WADA's 2016 Testing Figures Report
- Frustration on McLaren Inaction
- A Call for Russian Sanctions
- USMNT Fail to Qualify for World Cup
- Iditarod Sled Dog Doping Scandal
BREAKING: WADA Publishes 2016 Testing Figures Report.
"The 2016 Report summarizes the results of all the samples WADA-accredited laboratories analyzed and reported into WADA's Anti-Doping Administration and Management System (ADAMS) in 2016..."
Blackmun Upset at Lack of Action on McLaren Report.
USOC Chief Scott Blackmun said it was "beyond frustrating" that no action has been taken on the McLaren Report on doping at the Sochi Games.
IOC's Smith Calls for Russian Sanctions before Pyeongchang.
From Inside The Games: "Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) President Tricia Smith has called for immediate "provisional measures, including suspensions" to be taken against Russia before Pyeongchang 2018 regardless of whether the two ongoing International Olympic Committee (IOC) investigations into evidence of doping at the previous edition in Sochi are completed."
USMNT Fails to Qualify for World Cup.
Excelle Sports reports that despite USMNT historic loss, they are still paid more than USWNT: "In Tuesday night’s World Cup qualifying match against Trinidad and Tobago, the U.S. men’s national team (USMNT) lost 2-1, and as a result, failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup..."
Iditarod Doping Scandal Raises More Questions.
"Who slipped Tramadol to the dogs?" asks the New York Times as a doping scandal has hit the famed Iditarod dog sled race from Anchorage to Nome, Alaska. Four dogs on champion musher Dallas Seavey's team tested positive for high levels of an opioid pain reliever. Seavey denies any involvement.
Doc Details Physician Xue Yinxian's Role in China Doping
'The physician’s report is as clear as it is explosive. “In the 1980s and 90s, Chinese athletes on the national teams made extensive use of doping substances. Medals were showered in doping. Gold, silver and bronze. All international medals should be withdrawn”'
IN OTHER NEWS...
- Olympic Gymnast McKayla Maroney shares her #MeToo story.
- WSF holds 38th Annual Salute to Women in Sports Gala.
- All Sports Are Not Created Equal Op-Ed from LA84 Foundation.
First Sentencing in FIFA Scandal in USA.
- First African American woman to serve on IOC has Q&A on "My Olympic Life"
- The volleyball play of the year that even got Kerri Walsh's attention.
- Colorado Springs City Council not yet sold on Olympic Museum plans.
- WFPF on Youth Sports and the Parkour/Freerunning Lifestyle.
- Details on the USJJF's 2018 National Championships.
- International Cheer Union events include Pan-American Cheerleading Championships.
- A preview of the upcoming IMMAF World Championships.
- US Twirling raises money to help Puerto Rico twirling families.
- World Skateboarding Federation hints at upcoming events.
- Bocce continues to grow in popularity, rises as SO sport.
- USA Sports Council covers USC panel on Skateboarding & Diplomacy.
- #Skatetofight is taking a stand against sexual assault.
OVERHEARD ON SOCIAL MEDIA...
"Day. Made. Life. Made." - High school volleyball player @Apfinney when @Kerrileewalshsaw her amazing play.
"Fun Fact from #WSFAnnualSalute: 94% of female leaders played sports as a girl." -@bonniestjohn.
"Sick to my stomach. Ahhhh. When so much momentum in this country for soccer. But just not good enough." - @JulieFoudy on USMNT missing World Cup.
"A simple invitation to play. That's all it takes to change a life." - @DrDebAntoine via@SportsEmpower.
"Making a #WorldSeries wager w/ Houston Mayor @SylvesterTurner. Can't wait to enjoy some @killensbbq ribs & @SaintArnold's when @Dodgers win!" - @MayorOfLA Eric Garcetti.
Thanks for reading! Learn more about the USA Sports Council and about our various Member Sports attheusasportscouncil.org
Join our online community on facebook & twitter.